Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 18 -- Dinosaur, CO

We woke up expecting to ride 90 miles into Colorado. After applying gold bond, icy hot, and chamois butter, I stepped out ready to face the day. Then, because of construction on the roads, we only ended up riding the last 9 miles into Dinosaur, Colorado. Nonetheless, we spent 2 hours on the road as we stopped every 5 feet for pictures! We are staying at the Dinosaur school for the night, and dinner was kindly provided at the school by the local Baptist pastor. It reminded me of middle school lunches although it was quite filling. We also took showers at the local truck stop, which was an interesting experience. Oddly enough, two independent showerheads were pointing inwards to a space of less than 7 feet. I don’t know if they expected two people to be using the small shower at the same time.

In the afternoon, a few of us rode out to see the Yampa and Green River Canyon, known by locals as the “Mini Grand Canyon.” This is where many fossils where found, hence the name of the town and the neighboring national park (Dinosaur National Park). It was an incredible view, albeit scary as we ventured out near the rock cliff. Since I have never been to the Grand Canyon, the expansive views and the incredible terrain blew me away. Days like this make me proud of being a part of such an amazing event. I love my team, and I love what we’re doing. I can’t believe we’re a third of the way through.









No comments:

Post a Comment