Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 26 -- Wray, CO

Things got worse. Flat lands with nothing to see. Strong headwinds slowing us down tremendously. 8 hours on the bike seat. Sweeping because nobody else wanted to. Frustrations and tension in the pace-line. Cattle trucks barreling down the highway and literally spraying us with fecal matter and urine out of the vents as they swerved to avoid us. Cow farms (and smells) all the way across the singular highway that took us 90 miles into Wray, CO. I miss the mountains.

On a positive note, I was nominated as the cyclist of the week (more so for attitude than ability, I say). We just had our team meeting in lodging (a community center in Wray where we are staying in a cramped gym) which really lightened up the mood. A couple stories and good laughs later, I have put this tough day behind me and I’m looking forward to the rest of the trip. I am so proud of my team.

Tomorrow we’re off to Nebraska and the Central Time Zone. We might even make a detour to Kansas as we pass within 10 miles of it. 1500+ miles on the odometer.







No comments:

Post a Comment