Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 27 -- McCook, NE

Dark and dreary day but no rain. Our arrival into Nebraska was met with a wave of humid air and fog. The 95-mile ride wasn’t very eventful, however, we did pass into the central time zone and, for a brief moment, into the state of Kansas. 10 miles into Nebraska, we took a one-mile detour up a hill that took us to the border. Since I have done it in every state so far, I made it a point to pee in the state of Kansas. I realized this right as I was relieving myself on the border, in Nebraska, so I just took a couple of steps over to mark the difference. Other than that, we played a game on the bike where we name movies down the pace-line starting in a certain letter of the alphabet until someone can’t get one and loses (gets a point). It took us 30 miles to get to the letter I, and I was already down 4 points before we decided it wasn’t fun anymore. Finally, 10 miles out of the town of McCook (our lodging), Evan, one of the crewmembers, hit a bird with his car. It stuck in his front grill and we decided to keep it as a van mascot and name is “Murphy.” I have attached a picture.

That night, we went as a team to see the new movie “Transformers.” We were all really excited after the movie, and thoroughly enjoyed the change in routine. For the entire walk back from the movies, we debated whether Megan Fox or Isabel Lucas (the decepticon) was hotter. My vote personally lies with Megan Fox.

PS. I have attached a video of the large freight trains of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe line (BNSF) that pass constantly in this area. For the past few days, we have seen these huge trains all over the place. Apparently, they continue all the way to Chicago. They carry anything from cars to cargo containers to coal.







No comments:

Post a Comment